As an animation industry expert, academic and researcher, Mark’s interests are in computer animation techniques including synthetic sculpture, motion and related forms in popular culture. His research interests are in characterization and storytelling with real-time and rendered imagery exploring visual and behavioral representation in the animated form; looking to develop seemingly intelligent animated forms with richness in personality and emotive evocative states that are flexible enough to respond to the viewer within a predetermined simulated performance. He is currently working on a large scale interactive LED based public art installation.
2014 — current
Giant Monster Pte Ltd, Singapore
Entrepreneur: Public Art Design & Installation, Educational Game Design, Animation Design
2005 — 2015
Nanyang Technological University
Educator, Researcher: Founding faculty for the Animation area, taught Computer Animation and Production, and Game Design
2002 — 2005
CLONE3D LLC, United States of America
Entrepreneur: Simulated personalities on the web
2002 — 2005
Rhythm and Hues, United States of America
Freelance Digital Artist, Modeller: worked on numerous Award winning feature films
1995 — 2002
DreamWorks Feature Animation, United States of America
Digital Artist, Crowd Animation Lead Animator, Lead Modeller: worked on numerous Award winning feature films
1994 — 1995
Acclaim Entertainment, United States of America
Digital Art Lead/Supervisor, Supervised digital art production and storyboard for Alien Trilogy, the first PlayStation I computer game to use Motion Capture
Digital Artist and Art Director, Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) Vision, various television broadcast projects
Kroyer Films, United States of America
Animator on Fern Gully
Phillips Interactive, United States of America
Character Animator, Interactive Designer, early interactive media development on Compact Disc Interactive (CDi)
1987 — 1988
Freelance Digital Artist / Animator, United States of America, various projects, (rock videos, commercials, trade show motion-graphics artist)
1980 — 86
Supervisor, art director and animator: Pioneered the technique of laser-animation,
Projects: Motion billboards – the Sunset Strip Playboy building 1980; Broadway: Sandy Duncan’s Peter Pan; Rock Concerts: Neil Diamond’s ‘84 world tour, Earth, Wind and Fire’s world tour ‘83, and ‘84 and Ozzy Osbourne’s “Ozzy Bat” Concert Tour and other special venues. Supervised and art directed animation and digitization of graphics for the largest projected animation in the world 50 minutes projected on a huge stone wall of carvings of the Confederate Soldiers at Stone Mountain State Park, Georgia 1982-86 This work was documented at one time in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest ever projected imagery! Created and supervised work for the 1984 Summer Olympics projected billboard and entertainment imagery on the Federal Building in Westwood, California (including my own laser animated student short entitled Omeyotl which also premiered at an LA SIGGRAPH meeting in 1983 at Art Center in Pasadena); work for display at EPCOT Center, Walt Disney World, Florida, 1985.
Awards in Industry
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Oscar nominated for Best Achievement in Visual Effects, won a BAFTA Film Award for Best Achievement in Special Visual Effects, and numerous other awards.
- Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed; nominated for numerous awards.
- Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat; nominated for numerous awards.
- Elf, won the 2004 ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards it won the Top Box Office Films Award, the 2004 Golden Trailer Awards it won the Best Comedy Award and was nominated for numerous other awards.
- The Rundown; X-Men 2, Online Film Critics Society Awards 2004, nominated for the OFCS Award for Best Visual Effects, it was nominated for many other awards.
- Daredevil, nominated for numerous awards.
- Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, 2004 Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA nominated for the Saturn Award for the Best Animated Film and many other nominations.
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, won the 2003 ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards for Top Box Office Films; won the Young Artist Award for Best Family Feature Film in the Animation category, it won a 2004 Genesis Award in the category of Feature Film; at the 2003 Academy Awards was nominated for the Best Animated Feature; it was nominated for an Annie Award for Outstanding Achievement in an Animated Theatrical Feature and was nominated for many other awards in different categories.
- The Road to El Dorado nominated for numerous awards.
- The Prince of Egypt, at the 1999 Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards it won the Critics Choice Award for Best Animated Film; at the Young Artist Awards it won the Young Artist Award for Best Animated Family Feature, it also won and was nominated for a number of other awards including an Academy Award for Best Music, Original Song (this was awarded prior to the establishment of an Academy Award for the category of Animated Feature Film).
- Alien Trilogy, Awarded the 1996 PlayStation Game Award by PS Extreme Magazine, I was the artistic lead, level designer and animator on the project.
March 2005 — Present
Assistant Professor, Nanyang Technological University, School of Art, Design and Media
Relocated to Singapore to establish the first University-based Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Southeast Asia, specializing in Computer Animation instruction
Digital Animation Courses
Course Title and Code
- ANI 230 / DT 2003 3D Modeling Workshop I
- ANI 255 3D Modeling Workshop II
- ANI 260 Introduction to Storyboarding
- ANI 390 Animation Seminar I
- DT 2015 Advanced 3D Production
ADM Foundation Programme Courses
Course Title and Code
- FDN 101 Foundation Drawing
- FDN 140 Design and Time
Final Year Project
ANI 410 & ANI 450 BFA Digital Animation Final Year Project (FYP)
- 2 MSc (Digital Media Technology)
- 1 – PhD
Awards in Academia
- Koh Boon Hwee Scholar Award Certificate of Honor
For Inspirational Mentorship
- Vegas Indie Film Fest!
Bronze Bulb Award
- 13th Annual Beverly Hills Film Festival
Best Animation Award
- AHOF Savannah International Animation Festival
Best Gaming Animation
- Canada International Film Festival
Royal Reel Award
- The California Film Awards
Best Animated Short
- Love Unlimited Film Festival
Best Visual Effects in an Animated Film
- The Accolade Competition
Award of Merit
- 11th Urban Mediamakers Film Festival (UMFF)
Best Animation: Third Prize Winner
- Vegas Cine Fest
- Marbella International Film Festival
Best Animation Award
- CGAT – Computer Games and Allied Technology 2010
Best Research Paper Award, Chavez, M. Liu, L., (2010), “Cinematics and Narratives: Development of a Prototype System”
- Special Recognition Award 2008
Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (SCORE), in recognition of work done with inmates in the Singapore prison system.